Living on the coast of Maine, I am continually inspired by the textures, rhythms, and quiet strength of coastal life. My latest watercolor series centers around one of the state’s most iconic creatures: the Maine lobster. More than a symbol of travel and commerce, the lobster embodies a way of life. It is resilient, rooted in tradition, and beautifully singular. Each piece begins with pen and ink, where I explore the lobster’s form through a mix of delicate pointillism and bold linework. This contrast mirrors the nature of the lobster itself. It is tough-shelled, yet full of subtle variations and unexpected beauty. No two lobsters are the same, and I aim to honor that uniqueness in every drawing. Once the ink settles, I layer bright, fluid watercolor to breathe life into each one, letting the paint echo the movement and color of the sea. Through this series, I hope to evoke the feeling of a Maine summer: salty breezes,...
Today I visited a mural in downtown Biddeford honoring Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero. Painted across the exterior brick wall of Stem & Vine at 5 Alfred Street, the large hand-painted portrait depicts Johan Sebastián alongside his young daughter. The mural was created in August 2026 by local muralists Ryan Adams and Erica Sedler, as a memorial to Johan, a 25-year-old Biddeford resident who was fatally shot by an ICE agent near Pool and Hill streets on July 13, 2026. More than a portrait, the mural stands as a place of remembrance, preserving a face, a family, and a life that mattered to this community. 📍 5 Alfred Street, Biddeford, Maine 🎨 Ryan Adams & Erica Sedler 🕊️ In memory of Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero Thank you to Gregory at the Portland Press Harold for taking my picture.
Comments
Post a Comment